How to Raise a Reader
• Read together every day and everywhere. Ask children to bring a book or two when heading to the park.
• Think “outside the book” and read out loud. When grocery shopping, read signs and labels. Read a recipe together. Go on a scavenger hunt for sounds and letters.
• Send positive messages about the joy of reading. Make a trip to the library an adventure.
• Reread favorites. Children love to hear their favorite stories over and over again. Capture the child’s attention by pointing to words and pictures as you read.
• Expose children to “mirror” and “window” books where they see themselves represented and also learn about different cultures and experiences.
• Talk, talk, talk. A child’s vocabulary grows through rich conversations with others. They are really listening to you.